Luxembourg: Open, Dynamic and multicultural
Luxembourg-Taiwan Working Holiday Arrangement has been implemented as of 1st January 2019. Each year, 40 young Taiwanese aged between 18 and 30 can stay up to one year in Luxembourg. This programme will allow participants to visit the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for tourism, temporary employment or short-term self-funded educational projects.
Luxembourg is a landlocked nation located in the heart of Western Europe, and has borders with Belgium, France and Germany. With Luxembourgish, German, and French as its official languages, English is widely spoken, the country is known for its rich cultural heritage and events.
Geographically, Luxembourg is made up of two distinct regions. If you travel north, you will find yourself in the ‘Oesling’, which is a hilly and wooded part of the Ardennes region with medieval castles lining its rivers and valleys. Going south from here, the landscape changes completely and you will end up in a far more densely populated area called the ‘Gutland’. This is where you will find the capital Luxembourg City, home to a number of European institutions and all the major financial and banking institutions, industries and research establishments.
From plains to forests, natural parks, lakes and rivers, the Grand Duchy is fitted with vast and preserved green spaces and with rich wildlife and flora that nature lovers can take advantage of.
There are also many cultural activities in Luxembourg. Museums, Cultural Centers, Theaters, Music halls, which reflect the cultural, artistic and historical dimension of the Grand Duchy.
WORKING HOLIDAY IN LUXEMBOURG
- Be between the age of 18 and 30 years (inclusive).
- Have not participated in the working holiday program for Luxembourg before.
- Have a sufficient knowledge of one of Luxembourg’s official languages. (Luxemburgish, German, French) or English.
- Be legally domiciled in Taiwan.
- Travel without dependents.
- Have sufficient financial resources at the time of departure (a minimum of 2.500 EUR is required)
- Applicant need to apply in person (by appointment only).
- 3 duly filled out and dated visa application forms (Go to Luxembourg Trade and Investment Office, Taipei Website to download long-stay visa application form.)
- 3 recent passport photographs (color).
- A passport that includes a personal identification number and which is valid for at least 15 months on the date the visa is issued.
- A valid round-trip ticket.
- Proof that applicants possess the equivalent of 2,500 EUR by submitting a certificate of their bank stating the current balance or by submitting their credit card (valid for the period of the stay), together with the last credit card statement.
- Insurance: An “all risk” insurance valid for the period of your stay and covering occupational accidents, health care including medical costs, hospitalization and return home coverage (purchased after your visa has been approved). A copy of Taiwanese Health Insurance ID card and English Insurance certification to prove your participation in the National Health Insurance Program of R.O.C (Taiwan).
- A medical certificate (template attached) issued whether by an accredited hospital of the Luxembourg Trade and Investment Office, Taipei or any other hospital. In the latter case the medical certificate must be duly *authenticated.
- A duly *authenticated certificate of good conduct.
* Please note that the notarized documents are valid for three months.
- A completed and signed visa application form for the working holiday program.
- Go to the Luxembourg Trade and Investment Office Taipei to submit the following documents IN PERSON: visa application form, passport, certificate of bank stating the current balance or the last credit card statement, certificate of good conduct, medical certificate.
- The visa officer will test if the applicant has the sufficient knowledge of one of Luxembourg’s national languages (Luxembourgish, German, French) or English.
- After submitting the application form, applicants need to transfer the application fee to a specific account at the designated time and provide the proof of transfer/remittance to the Luxembourg Trade and Investment Office, Taipei. Please transfer the amount of 7400 NTD (equivalent to 200 EUR) to the following account. Please note that visa handling fees are non-refundable:
Bank: First Bank
Bank Code: 007
Account Number: 145-10-034-079
5. Submit the certificate of insurance, a valid round-trip ticket and proof of remittance. Visa will begin to process when all the documents are submitted. Please note that it’s better to submit the documents in advance so that the Visa will be issued before your departure.
6. When receiving the visa approval notice, go to Luxembourg Trade and Investment Office to pick up the documents.
The related information and procedures in Chinese can be found on the following website:
- Luxembourg Trade and Investment Office, Taipei: www.investinluxembourg.tw
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: www.mofa.gov.tw
- Bureau of Consular Affairs: www.boca.gov.tw
ARRIVAL IN LUXEMBOURG
- Upon arrival in Luxembourg participants must register within three work days with the municipal authority (commune) where they will take up residence. The long-term visa delivered by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg will allow the holder, following the completion of registration requirements at the relevant municipal administration, to reside temporarily in Luxembourg for a period not exceeding 12 months.
- The long-term visa will allow the holder of a valid travel document to circulate within the territories of the Schengen Member States in accordance with the Schengen regulation.
Working information in Luxembourg
FIND A JOB
The following website will provide job offers and orientation to find a job in Luxembourg.
- Advice and job offer for the youth (FR)
- A portal website provides a list of websites that specialize in finding employment, it also offers practical assistance with CVs, application letter etc. (FR/DE/LU)
- National Youth Service (SNJ) is the national agency who supports the development of quality of work with young people by offering recurrent training for educators in youth houses, theme conferences, quality assurance support projects and by issuing pedagogical publications
The website provides administrative information related to the contract for youth people.
www.justarrived.lu is a bilingual integration tool, helping newcomers in their daily lives in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. All the following information could be found on the website:
Luxembourg City is very well covered by its public transport network. Taxi, buses, tram and bikes are all available.
Bank branches are generally opened from Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
If you become ill or need to consult a doctor, it is advisable to consult a general practitioner first, who will advise you to consult a specialist doctor if necessary. In Luxembourg, Medical Houses were set up to stand in for general practitioners during the night, weekends and on bank holidays.
Security and Emergency
Luxembourg is one of the safest cities in the world. 112 is the free emergency phone number 24/7 for all life-threatening emergencies
Luxembourg’s climate is semi-continental. Winters can be severe, temperatures fluctuating between 0° and 15°c. In Summertime, they oscillate between 13° and 25°c, with sometimes 30°c peaks.
Time difference with Taiwan
Daylight saving time will generally be observed between March to October. Taiwan is 6 hours ahead during this period. During winter time, the time difference between Taiwan will be 7 hours.
Tourism and general information
Chinese Version please click HERE.